PHYSICAL PROPERTY a yellow clear liquid.
PHARMACOLOGY Ofloxacin is a broad spectrum fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It is active against most Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, like E.coli, Salmonella, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella, Proteus, Shigella, Staphylococci, Streptococci, Bacillus anthracis, Corynebacterium and etc. It is also active against most anaerobic bacteria, Mycobacteria, Mycoplasmas, Rickettsias, and the Protozoan Plasmodium falciparum.
Ofloxacin is bactericidal. The plasma concentrations for bactericidal and bacteriostatic effects are either the same or 2 to 4 times higher in bactericidal concentration. The antibacterial effect is not inhibited by the population of the pathogens or the presence of serum. However, urine with PH less than 5 or the increased level of Magnesium ions will adversely affect the antibacterial activities. There is no incompatibility with beta-lactam antibiotics and aminoglycosides.
(1) Ofloxacin can be inhibited by chemicals or feed additives with cations (Al3+,Mg2+,Ca2+,Fe2+,Zn2+). It may result in lower plasma concentration and thus leading to reduced antibacterial activities.
(2) Ofloxacin will also decrease the clearance of Theophylline and Caffeine and this will increase the serum level of the 2 chemicals.
(3) Rifampicin, Chloramphenicol,Thiamphenicol and Florfenicol may have antagonistic effects with Ofloxacin.
(4) Probenecid will reduce the urinary secretion of Ofloxacin. The plasma concentration is not necessarily increased.
INDICATIONS As a broad spectrum antibacterial and is used mainly for bacterial as well as mycobacterial infections in animals. It is especially indicated for use in treating respiratory diseases, gastro-intestinal and urinary-tract infections.
ADMINISTARTION AND DOSAGE Administer via intra-muscular or intravenous injection. Dosage: 0.03ml to 0.05ml per kg body weight or 0.3ml to 0.5ml per 10kg body weight and twice a day. Treat 3 to 5 days.
ADVERSE EFFECTS Prolonged usage or overdose could cause the following adverse effects:
1. Reversible arthralgia as well as joint erosions in immature animals.
2. Central Nervous System Toxicity: epileptic convulsions, acute psychosis and extreme irritability in small animals.
3. For animals with impaired renal function, there is a risk to develop crystalluria.
1. Prohibited for use for puppies under 8 weeks of age as well as lactating or pregnant animals
2. Special cautionary measures for treating young breeders, horses, animals for meat consumption and animals with impaired renal function.
WITHDRAWAL 28 days,Milk for human consumption: 7 days. Not for use in hens laying eggs for human consumption.